[MPlayer-users] get_buffer() failed (stride changed) decode_slice_header error

Josh joshf87 at live.com
Sat Feb 2 09:29:40 CET 2013

I am forwarding a problem with certain H264 files in MPlayer. It seems
these particular files are unplayable in MPlayer and couldn't get them
to play in recent MPlayer w/ FFmpeg. They produce this error:

[h264 @ 01187e00]get_buffer() failed (stride changed)
[h264 @ 01187e00]decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 01187e00]no frame!

The first couple of frames of video are displayed then it freezes.

I tested the sample against r34835 and whatever FFmpeg at the time it
played fine but r35425 began to get choppy, and recent mplayer/ffmpeg it
just freezes. Zeranoe's latest FFmpeg/ffplay plays the files without issue.

I've uploaded said sample to MPlayer FTP under
"h264_getbuffer_failed_stride_changed.mkv" and a log with the .txt
extension; playing it just for a few seconds produced a 4.46MB log with
-v -v -v. The log is from playing under a GUI (SMPlayer) but confirmed
it occurs simply with "mplayer.exe file.mkv".

The sample is NSFW (japanese hentai)

I have lots of H264/MKV anime fansubs and those are the first files I
ever found with that problem so I wasn't sure if it was a bad encode or
what.

http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-for-windows/issues/detail?id=4

Thanks for listening :)