[MPlayer-users] Muting MPlayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Dec 31 13:50:02 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 08:30:51PM -0800, Dietrich Epp wrote:
> How do I mute MPlayer?  When I press “m”, MPlayer mutes the PCM device instead, which is undesirable.

"Mute" only sets volume to 0. If you have MPlayer control volume via PCM
then it will mute that way, too.
This issue is easily avoidable by either using a sound daemon
(pulseaudio or JACK for example) or by using -softvol.
Of course then all volume control is done in software, not just mute.
If that isn't good enough, implementing it would require actual coding
(and it would not work really smoothly anyway, since like -softvol it
would apply the mute setting only after the buffer delay, which can be
annoying), and you would have to provide a very convincing use-case to
make anyone implement it (unless you intend to try to do it yourself).

Happy new year,
Reimar