[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 06:08:34 CET 2013

On 14.12.2013 15:04, James Board wrote:
>>> libx264 is one of the best AVC encoder available.

>> As said, this is not correct, different independent
>> tests have shown that no matter how much money you
>> spend, you will not get a better encoder.

> I don't know what you mean.  Is this more correct?
>     libx264 is the best AVC encoder available
> Or is this correct?
>     libx264 is the best encoder available
> or this?
>     There are better AVC encoders available
> or what do you mean?

>>> MPEG-4 ASP: is really MPEG-4 Part 2.
>>> This is the standard that is implemented by libav.
>> This sentence is extremely misleading.

> "Among the >100 codecs implemented within FFmpeg,
> MPEG-4 ASP is one of them,

> Okay, I understand.

>> And since you mentioned MEncoder in your email as
>> if it had any relevance when encoding media files
>> (and since other people may read this) allow me to
>> repeat that MEncoder is not actively maintained and
>> should only be used for specific tasks (of which
>> you so far have not written in any of your emails),

> I use mencoder to 2-pass-encode AVI files with vcodec=mpeg4
> at a bitrate of 10,000,000 bits per second.  I have tried to
> get ffmpeg to do the same, but either failed, or it was slower.
> Feel free to offer an example way of doing this with ffmpeg.

> Also, I plan on using mencoder and libx264 to produce MPEG-4
> AVC files and 422-format pixels.  Can ffmpeg do this?

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf
scale="'if(gt(a,16/9),1280,-1)':'if(gt(a,16/9),-1,720)',pad=ceil(iw/16)*16:ceil(ih/16)*16:(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2:black"
-f yuv4mpegpipe - | x264 --demuxer y4m --profile high422 --preset slow
--tune film -qp 0 --output-csp i422 -o output.mp4

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.getfirefox.net/