[MPlayer-users] Produce 422 format pixels with mencoder for mpeg4-encoding

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Dec 14 01:16:14 CET 2013

James Board <jpboard2 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> MPEG-4 AVC in this thread refers to MPEG-4 Part 10.

No, MPEG-4 AVC always refers to MPEG-4 Part 10 and
since this is so confusing, everybody always calls
it H.264. (I suspect I used another name in this
thread but this was only because of your confusing
question.)

> libx264 is one of the best AVC encoder available.

As said, this is not correct, different independent
tests have shown that no matter how much money you
spend, you will not get a better encoder.

> MPEG-4 ASP: is really MPEG-4 Part 2.

> This is the standard that is implemented by libav.

This sentence is extremely misleading.
"Among the >100 codecs implemented within FFmpeg,
MPEG-4 ASP is one of them, FFmpeg provides both
an encoder and a decoder. The encoder may be
difficult to tune but is able to compete with
the best encoders in class, the decoder supports
many non-standard extensions."

And since you mentioned MEncoder in your email as
if it had any relevance when encoding media files
(and since other people may read this) allow me to
repeat that MEncoder is not actively maintained and
should only be used for specific tasks (of which
you so far have not written in any of your emails),
FFmpeg is an actively maintained applications that
nowadays supports many filters that either don't
exist for MEncoder or were improved when ported to
FFmpeg.
(And concerning your current task: FFmpeg contains
code that makes sure that no chroma samples get
lost if the filter chains allow it as in your case.)

Carl Eugen