[MPlayer-users] Some vids not playing

Steven Feil sfeil at inbox.com
Fri Dec 13 23:55:03 CET 2013

I have a problem with mplayer playing some videos but not others.  The
problem appears to stem from not having the right codec or demuxer. I
am still a newbie when it comes to being able to figure out what is
going on. I am still confused as to how the codec and demuxer relate
to the libraries in the /usr/lib directory.

I have mplayer on a Knoppix install and on my Gentoo install. The
Knoppix plays all the video files I need, but The Gentoo install does
not plays only some of them.

When I try to play from the Gentoo I get the line "libavformat file
format detected." followed by a long series of over 100 errors similar
to this.  "[NULL @ 0xb6f800c0]Value 4707126720094797824.000000 for
parameter 'probesize' out of range". In the next 100 lines, probesize
is replaced by a different parameter. See
"http://pastebin.com/Vxeq7s4U" for full output. The same file plays
when I use mplayer from Knoppix.

The file test-f5.flv came from a YouTube capture in format version 5,
one of the oldest video formats from YouTube. Mediainfo gave me the
following info, "Format: Flash Video, VideoFormat: Sorenson Spark,
VideoCodec ID: 2, AudioFormat: MPEG, Audio AudioCodec ID: 2" Full info
at "http://pastebin.com/DEXGnzxA".

I included all video and audio codacs "-vc help -ac help" from both
Gentoo and Knoppix installs here "http://pastebin.com/XVMwwZZb".

PS. I'm not 100% sure but, at one point I think that my current Gentoo
partition did play the video in question, but it quit playing after a
minor upgrade. The reason I bring this up is that I appear to have two
versions of a demuxer on my system, libavformat.so.54.29.104 and
libavformat.so.53.32.100. I'd like to see if I could force mplayer to
use the other, just to see if it would help. The man-page seams to
indicate that I could, but I had a hard time understanding that part
of the man-page.