[MPlayer-users] VDPAU errors, flickering black video display on aspect change in MPEG2 TS

Ilja Sekler ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de
Thu Dec 12 18:26:28 CET 2013

Am 11.12.2013 19:38, schrieb Reimar Döffinger:

> Ilja Sekler <ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> I think that's all as expected. Within a video MPlayer tries to
>>> keep the window size unchanged, since the user could have changed
>>> it manually for example. I admit I'm not that convinced it's
>>> great behaviour but it seems fine.
>>
>> I don't have very strong feelings about this behaviour, but for me
>> it still seems to be inconsistent:
>>
>> my sample with an aspect change => the window is resized to match
>> the new video size, even if the user had resized it before;
>
> Well, but not resizing isn't possible, then it wouldn't have the
> right aspect! [...]

Sure, I didn't want to say that resizing on aspect change would be
wrong, but that *not* resizing on a pure resolution change (in the
corner case when the old aspect matches the new aspect exactly) feels
not quite right, if at the same time every aspect change would make
MPlayer forget the old window size entirely.

In the real life, I've never before encountered a video stream or file
with a resolution change in it, but aspect changes are very common at
the boundary between a movie and commercials. When doing something more
or less useful on my PC while simultaneously watching DVB-T with
MPlayer, I usually make the video window very small and place it on top
(but not in focus). Every time commercials begin or end, the MPlayer
window pops big, and I have to resize it once again.

IMVHO, the best default behaviour would be to keep the user defined
window scale factor throughout aspect changes and to provide a key
(Shift+O seems to be free ATM) to toggle between the original display
size as specified by the video and the size after user has resized the
window.

--
Regards

Ilja