[MPlayer-users] VDPAU errors, flickering black video display on aspect change in MPEG2 TS

Ilja Sekler ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de
Wed Dec 11 15:30:30 CET 2013

Am 08.12.2013 19:35, schrieb Reimar Döffinger:

> On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 05:48:40PM +0100, Ilja Sekler wrote:
>
>> "sample-failed-vdpau-rendering-on-aspect-change.ts" (3000000
>> bytes) along with a text file
>> "sample-failed-vdpau-rendering-on-aspect-change.txt" uploaded to
>> incoming.
>
> Thanks a lot, with that I could actually solve the mystery. It was
> actually a MPlayer bug, but one that could only happen with MPEG1/2,
> since those are the only formats that share a decoder. It should now
> be fixed properly, and there is in fact no issue with the NVidia
> driver (just to be clear about that).

A belated "thank you" for the thorough analysis and the fix, which are
greatly appreciated.

>>> Someone testing an actual resolution change
>>> (http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/MPEG2/resolutionchange.mpg I
>>> believe) before and after the change would be welcome as well.
>>
>> There is a
>>
>> Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
>> VO: [vdpau] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12
>> Dropping frame with size not matching configured size (1920x1080 vs 1280x720 vs 1280x720)
>>
>> message on resolution change with the fix,

There is no such "Dropping frame" message with the proper fix (r36540)
as well as before the first attempt (r36536).

>> the size of the video window doesn't adjust to the new size. [...]
>
> I think that's all as expected. Within a video MPlayer tries to keep
> the window size unchanged, since the user could have changed it
> manually for example. I admit I'm not that convinced it's great
> behaviour but it seems fine.

I don't have very strong feelings about this behaviour, but for me it
still seems to be inconsistent:

my sample with an aspect change => the window is resized to match the
new video size, even if the user had resized it before;

resolutionchange.mpg => the window is not resized, doesn't match the new
video size.

I would prefer MPlayer defaulting to resizing the video window to match
the specified video size and -vf dsize= for a different behaviour.
Anyway, a key to restore the original video window size after the user
manually resized the window would be a nice enhancement, IMHO :-)

--
Regards

Ilja