[MPlayer-users] recent regression in initial h264 decode/display

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Aug 12 19:51:30 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 05:44:58PM +0100, Andy Furniss wrote:
> Just updated mplayer from one a few days ago and I am seeing initial
> corruption playing h264.
>
> It clears and then plays normally, this is using s/w decode and
> different -vo s make no difference.
>
> ffmpeg is head, but with head ffmpeg, ffplay does not have the issue.

This is far too little detail, at least a sample video or
full MPlayer output is necessary.
However I believe what you are seeing is most likely the fully
intended behaviour. MPlayer always preferred to show whatever is
in the file even if it might not look 100% perfect (particularly
when like in this case it can improve responsiveness as well), which also
means that if a file does not start with a keyframe, you will
see error-concealed data which may look bad.
This can be changed to behave like ffplay via
-lavdopts wait_keyframe