[MPlayer-users] mplayer: slow seek forwards

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Aug 8 20:25:32 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 05:56:28AM -0700, James Board wrote:
> >>    mencoder IN.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> >>vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=10000000:threads=1:keyint=15:vpass=1 -oac copy -o
> >>/dev/null
> >>    mencoder IN.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> >>vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=10000000:mbd=2:trell:threads=1:keyint=15:vpass=2
> >>-oac copy -of mpeg -o OUT.avi
> >

> >No, since you specified -of mpeg, and thus your file isn't in avi format. Seeking in mpeg files is expected to be slow.
>
> Actually the problem occurs when I don't use -of mpeg.  I only tried '-of mpeg' to see
> if I could solve the problem myself.  In fact, with '-of mpeg' mencoder hangs and never
> produces an outout file.  So, the slow seek forwards occur with the AVI format.  And,
> I also have other vidoe files with the same encoding parameters that don't have this problem.
> The only difference is those files were encoded straight from the raw captured video, while
> the problem files were first inverse telecined.  So could the inverse telecining be causing this
> problem maybe?

Well, there is far too little information.
Your command lines don't seem to match what you actually did and we
have no logs of neither the mencoder run nor the problematic playback.
However the possible issues are not using -ofps resulting in insane
frame rates being used (which will also make your files too large)
or the generated AVI file being > 2GB without ODML enabled.