[MPlayer-users] Playing 24 fps video on a 60 Hz monitor

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 17:32:11 CEST 2013

Phil Rhodes wrote:

> This is why people like Blackmagic sell things like the Decklink series of video I/O cards which include audio hardware on board: you can guarantee, with those things, that for every (for instance) 24 frames, you will get (for instance) 48,000 audio samples, and those things are locked together electronically.
>
> This is why you can't really take an HDMI output from a computer and use it as part of a broadcast video mastering system.

Hmm. hdmi was the one use case that I expected sound and video to use
the same clock.

I am using a radeon discreet GPU with OSS drivers - there are bugs open
where people have issues with sound skip, but this maybe just the way
they have to set up lots of dividers.

My particular hardware seems OK - though I don't know how much mplayer
is tweaking rates.

In fact seen as the patch for kms /1.001 modes for CEA devices has only
recently gone in I guess mplayer was using sound to pull up fps to 24
anyway.

> It is theoretically possible write a media player that will video sync, as opposed to audio sync, its output, by resampling the audio. If anyone has any idea if this has ever been done, please tell me!

XBMC has options for "video sync (resample sound)", "video sync
(dup/skip sound)" I have no idea if they work though.