[MPlayer-users] -vo gl not working

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 14 22:54:23 CEST 2013

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:05:37 +0200
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> Also I suspect you only tested in your nice up-to-date system,
> probably even using multi-threading (which changes the performance
> characteristics). While not the same thing, -dr for example gains

I tested that on a 2008 system (Core2 Duo + nvidia low budget GPU).
What's the point of not using multithreading? It's a major reason why I
can play 1080p with software decoding on my crappy old system. Even
weak systems have multiple cores. (Btw., MPlayer not enabling MT by
default is a major reason why MPlayer is often perceived to be slower
than other video players.)

> about 10% on a Apple G4 system. On many older systems an additional
> copy of the video will cost you at least 10% performance. Nothing

I'm not quite sure if direct rendering (the whole chain from decoder to
VO) does not slow down modern systems. I _think_ I got slightly slower
speed when trying with -dr, which could be due to the fact that the
decoder is made to access slow GPU memory directly (isn't this also
what MP_IMGFLAG_READABLE is about?), so an additional copy might
actually speed up things - but I'm not too sure about this.

> against optimizing also for more modern systems, but please stop the
> "I benchmarked on my system, so it must be fine", that should only be
> a last resort approach.

I don't really understand the point of optimizing for older systems,
when the associated code makes optimal decoding on newer systems (i.e.
using MT) break everything.