[MPlayer-users] Use -ass without fontconfig?

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 14 19:05:36 CEST 2013

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:59:27 +0200
Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Le quartidi 24 germinal, an CCXXI, wm4 a écrit :
> > Yeah, fontconfig does the same as you do: assume Windows is a Linux
> > distro.
>
> fontconfig assumes that the system administrator is capable of
> following a simple directive after installing fonts, no more no less.
> Your sentence only makes sense if you assume that windows admins are
> not capable of that.

As I said, Windows has its own way of maintaining its font database.
Even if Windows actually run some sort of fontconfig hook, installation
of fonts would suddenly take minutes instead of seconds. Just how is
this acceptable?

By the way, this is not just a problem for Windows. On OSX it's the
same.

I'm not quite sure why you refuse to acknowledge fontconfig's
responsibility for its bad behavior.