[MPlayer-users] Use -ass without fontconfig?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Apr 13 08:34:52 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 01:19:42AM -0400, Josh wrote:
> Is there any way to use -ass in mplayer without fontconfig? MPlayer
> has the '-nofontconfig' switch but for a really long time this has
> had no effect, it still uses fontconfig and creates a cache and
> users don't like it. The only other thing I can think of is to
> disable fontconfig at compile time, but maintaining multiple builds
> for a small minority who hate the font cache isn't desirable to me.

You could try implementing it yourself:
Find all code that is disabled by disabling fontconfig and make
sure it checks the value of the -nofontconfig switch.
However I believe it will need changes in libass, and those should
rather be suggested upstream. Which might be hard since I believe
the don't even support compiling without either libharfbuzz or
libfontconfig, even that is already MPlayer-specific hacks.
If you would be willing to discuss it with the libass project
IMHO that would be much of a help already, I am too lazy to
do that kind of thing.