[MPlayer-users] mplayer -identify reports incorrect information for some files

Robert Szelepcsényi robert at tankred.sk
Sat Sep 8 15:00:01 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am building a web application, which users can use to upload images and videos to the server. I need to check each uploaded file for basic information like media type, dimensions, duration, etc., which are then inserted into the database.

To check videos and obtain basic information I use:

mplayer -vo null -ao null -frames 0 -identify <filename>

However:

1. For some files zero length (duration) is reported. Examples of such files are in http://www.tankred.sk/samples/zerolength/

2. For some files incorrect framerate is reported. Examples of such files are in http://www.tankred.sk/samples/badfps/. In the case of these files instead of fps mplayer seems to report tbr. Or more probably mplayer always reports tbr (being equal to fps in most case). Probable the best solution would be to report both.

In all cases

ffmpeg -i <filename>

reports correct information.

Robert Szelepcsényi