[MPlayer-users] Playing trouble with multi-tuner dvb card

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Fri Sep 7 22:32:00 CEST 2012

Le Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:26:56 +0200,
Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it> a écrit :

> Dominique Michel ha scritto:
> > - and play it mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr1 or mplayer
> > /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 Ciao, Dominique
>
> don't play device files as if they were plain files, or mplayer will
> try to seek on them.
> Better use
> $ cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr1|mplayer -

Well, I am confused about this. On the linux-tv wiki
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Zap#Recording_a_program
they write

mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

The advantage with this command is than I am able to change the channels
and mplayer doesn't quit. With "cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr1|mplayer -",
mplayer quit when I change the channel.

So, what is the problem, if any, with "mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0"?
Can such command damage my hardware?

--
"We have the heroes we deserve."