[MPlayer-users] How to get the duration(ID_LENGTH) of a Sony MTS video file use "mplayer"?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Sep 4 11:52:09 CEST 2012

littlebat <dashing.meng <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I found the similar question from : [MPlayer-users] No Video for .TS
> files (with H.264 Video)
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2010-January/078763.html

This discussion is about files that do not play with
-demuxer mpegts at all, and I asked for sample files
that do not play with -demuxer lavf (the question was
if it is a good idea to make -demuxer lavf the default).

> I has the same viewpoint as Andreas Allacher in the link above, it isn't
> a good way to add extra parameter "-demuxer lavf" manually. It is the
> best if the mplayer can select the correct demuxer automatically. So,
> according to the advice of Carl Eugen in the link above, I post a
> sample file(10M size). if anyone need this file to hack the mplayer
> source, you can also download it at: http://www.learndiary.com/test.MTS

This file seems to play fine with both -demuxer mpegts and
-demuxer lavf so I don't see how it is related to above thread.

Please understand that the only way to get the exact duration
of a mpegts file is to decode the whole file.
(FFmpeg just estimates, you should get this estimate with
.demuxer lavf)

Carl Eugen