[MPlayer-users] Audio in DVD iso works with mplayer, but not with mencoder

Ignacio Fernández Galván jellby at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 10:51:56 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to encode the video&audio from a DVD iso. The DVD has a single title, but several chapters, the first few of these are menus and promos, and playback stops after them. So to play the interesting part, I have to do something like this:

$ mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device dvd.iso -chapter 10

This works fine, and with the -v flag I get, among other things:

[...]
DVD successfully opened.
audio stream: 0 format: mpeg1 (stereo) language: unknown aid: 0.
number of audio channels on disk: 1.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: unknown
number of subtitles on disk: 1
[...]
DVD Seek! lba=0x12F8  cell=0  packs: 0xB7D-0x12F8
MPEG Stream reached EOF
ds_fill_buffer: EOF reached (stream: audio)
MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.

STREAM_DVD, seeked to chapter: 9, cell: 4857, pos: 9947136
Searching for sequence header... OK!
[...]
Audio: no sound
Freeing 0 unused audio chunks.
Starting playback...
[...]
INFO: libavcodec "mp2float" init OK!
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 160.0 kbit/5.21% (ratio: 20000->384000)
[...]

So, mixed info about audio and no audio, but there is sound in fact. I guess that has to do with the fact that I'm not starting from the first chapter.

But the problem is when I try to use mencoder with this:

$ mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device dvd.iso -chapter 10 -oac copy -ovc copy -o dvd.avi

Then I get no audio in the output file, and the screen says:

[...]
audio stream: 0 format: mpeg1 (stereo) language: unknown aid: 0.
number of audio channels on disk: 1.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: unknown
number of subtitles on disk: 1

success: format: 2  data: 0x5BE800 - 0x97c000
MPEG-PS file format detected.
MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
[...]

Besides, the resulting file is not the whole chapter, it's only 6 min instead of 45.

Any idea how to get this working?