[MPlayer-users] Why does a -dumpstream dump not play when mplayer can play the DVD directly fine?

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Tue May 15 21:40:33 CEST 2012

Alex Bennee wrote:
> On 5 May 2012 10:37, Andy Furniss<andyqos at ukfsn.org>  wrote:
>> Alex Bennee wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having some problems ripping some of the DVDs in my collection.
>>> The DVD plays fine with a normal command line, e.g.:
>> <snip>
>>> mplayer dvd://2 -dumpstream -dumpfile test.vob
>>
>> The first thing to try if mplayer can't play a stream is to use -demuxer
>> lavf. If you already are using it - try without.
>
> I get the same un-playable results with -demux lavfpref, lavf and default.
>
> Interestingly the second and third runs worked very quickly, I assume because
> the block cache was warm with the raw data from the DVD.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Probably not that are much use :-)

Does it manage play if you skip forward?

I notice you had some errors even when it worked from disk, maybe you
could try the option to slow the disk down.

I've never used it, from the man -

-dvd-speed <factor or speed in KB/s> (DVD only)
               Try to limit DVD speed (default: 0, no change).  DVD base
  speed
               is  about  1350KB/s,  so  a  8x  drive  can read at
speeds up to
               10800KB/s.  Slower speeds make the drive more quiet, for
  watch-
               ing  DVDs 2700KB/s should be quiet and fast enough.
MPlayer re-
               sets the speed to the drive default value on close.
Values less
               than  100  mean multiples of 1350KB/s, i.e. -dvd-speed 8
selects
               10800KB/s.
               NOTE: You need write access to the  DVD  device  to
change  the
               speed.