[MPlayer-users] mplayer fails to resume playback after pause

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri May 11 20:12:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 02:26:33PM +0530, Mac Smith wrote:

> On 11-May-2012, at 2:17 PM, Tom Evans wrote:

> >> well in my case mplayer is not good with alsa, kindly suggest any fix...
> >>

> > I suggest that you first describe the issue with alsa. "is not good"
> > or "doesn't work fine" are not descriptions of issues.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Tom
>
> issue is clearly described,
>
>  it fails to resume playback if i use "-ao alsa", but if I use "-ao pulse" it works fine. the following wiki says mplayer doesnt works fine with alsa, is there a fix for it.
>

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MPlayer#.28S.29mplayer_fails_to_resume_playback_after_pause

This sounds like the issue might be e.g. pulseaudio grabbing the ALSA
device while MPlayer is paused, thus MPlayer can't resume.
So if you feel like risking it, disabling/removing pulseaudio might be
an obvious first try.
Otherwise as to PulseAudio issues: It quite often is exactly that one
that causes hangs after pause, and those have actually been confirmed
as pulseaudio bugs. For some reason they seem re-appear again and again,
which I can't really understand.
The newest pulseaudio bug that seems to have been recently introduced
(I've seen it come up only recently on Debian unstable) is that it will
grossly misreport the audio delay/available buffer space, leading to the
"audio device stuck" printout and in some cases even to short audio
stutters.