[MPlayer-users] -adapter option on windows

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Mar 28 21:20:23 CEST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 06:42:43PM -0400, Morris Beverly wrote:
> A few years ago I wrote a front end for mplayer and used the
> -adapter option to set the output to the second monitor:
>
> mplayer.exe filename -quiet -slave -osdlevel 0 -idle -fixed-vo
> -nocache -fs -adapter 2
>
> This worked perfectly with mplayer binaries through around 2009.
> After that with newer versions (oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php) of
> mplayer the video always played fullscreen on the primary monitor
> (laptop display as opposed to external monitor, set in windows to
> "extend these displays").  I just reverted back to the older
> versions of mplayer and let it go at that.  However, I'm updating
> some code and thought I'd try to sort it out.
>
> Was I using it wrong and it's just caught up with me, or has
> something changed in mplayer related to the -adapter option (or in
> the way windows reports display adapters)?

Not sure if that is your issue, but which hardware adapter to use
and which screen to display on probably are now completely independent.
So I expect you now need to set both -xineramascreen and -adapter.
However, MPlayer should by default go to fullscreen on the screen
it already was on, and if not that should be a bug.
Try comparing behaviour against -vo direct3d or -vo gl (I assume
there is a reason you can't use those? But I'd expect they
are usable enough to at least compare window placement behaviour).

> I've also noticed that fixed-vo doesn't seem to be supported on
> directx, but I thought it used to be.

It still is. Though maybe you mean some specific behaviour that
hasn't really anything to do with the core meaning of -fixed-vo?