[MPlayer-users] Video File Format in LG DVR TVs

Marco Munderloh munderl at tnt.uni-hannover.de
Fri Mar 23 14:30:11 CET 2012

> Per recorded "movie", there is a folder containing one .idx file and
> one or more .trp files. The .trp files are split to 376.000 KB length
> (except the last one which may be smaller). There is also one .ifo
> file of the same name as the folder (except the folder has ~ prepended
> to it).

The trp file format (combined with ifo and idx) is quiet common on PVRs
based on STi Chipset. Normally the trp files are just ts files with PAT
and PMT missing (some "header" like stuff describing the content of the
file). This information can be found in the ifo file.

The structure of the ifo varies from device to device. I once created a
converter for EDISION and Vantage ifo/trp to standard TS and vice versa.
It just adds the missing PAT/PMT to the TS stream.

Saying so, recorded SD-movies in MPEG2 format should play right away
with mplayer. HD with h.264 content will not play, as MPEG2 is hardwired
if no PMT is found. For this I once created a patch which tries to guess
if the video stream is h.264 or MPEG2. It works in 90% of my files
correctly but needs some improvements to reach the 100%. If your SD
recordings play in mplayer, this patch might get HD working. The
converter does a way better job, however.

If you could provide the ifo + ~100MB of the first trp I might be able
to adept the converter to LG format.

CU, Marco