[MPlayer-users] Is there any plan to include win32/64 dll codecs feature for x86_64?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Mar 21 19:49:09 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:07:24PM +1100, andrew wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:29:21AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > andrew <andrew <at> andrews-corner.org> writes:
> >
> > > I for one would be very grateful for the ability to access the windows
> > > codecs on x86_64. Just for thoses unusual codecs that I suspect may
> > > never be duplicated through libavcodec and are easily decoded by the
> > > 32bit MPlayer + windows codecs....
> >
> > Please point to the samples you mean.
>
> For example the vp7 material here:
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/VP7/
>
> The rarer IMM4 material:
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/IMM4/
>
> More common MSS2 files:
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/MSS2/

MSS2 should be work in progress.

> WMA lossless has long been a problem but I believe there is a decoder
> now?

Yes.
As to your question: I believe a long time ago someone made
a stub program that would load and control a binary codec and
MPlayer would through pipes/shared memory send it commands.
It would then not matter how MPlayer was compiled, only
that stub needed to be 32 bit.
Using them directly will not be possible since the Linux kernel
does not allow executing 32 bit code in a 64 bit process.
And support for 64 bit codecs will probably require an
amount of effort that's just not worth it.