[MPlayer-users] Audio sync problem with mencoder

Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
Tue Mar 13 02:28:58 CET 2012

On 12 March 2012, Oliver Seitz said:
> > since I'm not hugely concerned about disk space or
> >quality.
>
> If disk space is no problem, why transcode at all?
>
> mplayer dvdnav://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile <filename.vob>

Hey, good idea. It even works too!

However, based on another reply, it sounds like I'm not the only one
seeing this sync problem. Could be a recently introduced bug that
affects transcoding but not -dumpstream.

Also, my home network is a mere 100 Mbits. When copying files from the
PC to the living room, 1.5 GB is nicer than 6 GB. So space is a bit of
a concern. I'd like to be able to transcode.

[Erik Auerswald suggested]
> You could use 'cat /dev/dvd > dvd.image' and 'mplayer -dvd-device dvd.image
> dvd://' instead.

Yeah, I knew about that ... the trouble with that is, it preserves the
DVD menus and "special features" and annoying previews and silly
things that I'm not interested in watching. When I rent a movie, I
want to watch *the movie*, not 5 minutes of extraneous crud.

(Memo to Hollywood: I'm perfectly happy to pay for movies, but when I
pay for a movie and you shove extraneous crud down my eyeballs as the
cost of watching a legit DVD, it makes me wonder...)

Thanks!

        Greg
--
Greg Ward                                http://www.gerg.ca/
War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Knowledge