[MPlayer-users] uspp filter - colorspace

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Mar 10 10:38:08 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 05:06:57PM +0100, chronosek wrote:

> >>I use a chain set of filters :
> >>avisynth
> >>(ffvideosource(yv12)->rgb24->spiline144resize->
> >>msucartoonrestore->huffyuv(rgb24))
> >>mencoder(rgb->444P->uspp->ffv1(444P))
> >>avisynth(444P->rgb24->msharpen->spilinere144size->lagarith(rgb24))
> >While I am certainly no expert for avisynth, I don't think this
> >makes any sense, using uspp on the original source and a
> >(lossless if you want, but I would recommend low constant quantizer)
> >yuv420p codec with ffmpeg should save a lot of disk space.
> >
> >>It is for restore quality bad sources, i want as less as posible use
> >>colorspace losy conver so i just asked about uspp
> >There is no lossy conversion if you do
> >yv12 ->  uspp ->  yv12 encoder
> >(except for the filter itself)
> >
> >>PS. why huffyuv in mencoder can not use rgb24?
> >huffyuv in FFmpeg does support RGB, please don't forget that MEncoder
> >is not an actively maintained application (FFmpeg is).
> >
> >Carl Eugen

> First - i need resize, cause uspp is blurry, but with 1,5x resize
> and resize back after i get nice edges what can be easly and safly
> msharpened, btw resizing in yv12 give bad results, so i want resize
> in rgb24

uspp is supposed to remove blocking artefacts, resizing completely
breaks the block boundaries and uspp can't really work for that.
More importantly, it can't give good results unless it gets the
quantizer values from the decoder, i.e. you must also be decoding
with MPlayer.
Lastly, if you are not giving it proper Qp values in the input, you
can reduce its strength by just giving it a different fixed Qp value
(second argument).
For all these reasons nobody considered adding RGB support to make any
sense so far.