[MPlayer-users] Question: Whole movie into ram?

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 04:49:34 CET 2012

On 03.03.2012 22:02, Uli Armbruster wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm not sure if I remember this right, but I think I read somewhere that with mplayer it's possible to load a whole movie into ram before it's being played. Right now I use -cache 1048576 (this seems to be the maximum), but I have 4GB of RAM so I could really load almost any movie into it (my usage hardly goes beyond 500MB), but with -cache it doesn't seem to be possible. Or is it possible to increase the cache?
>
> I use Linux, 64bit

Make TMPFS device in fstab (I have /tmp on it). It uses RAM as afar as
it can, and after that, it resort to SWAP (if there is to low memory for
system or programs, TMPFS is swapped - so it is dynamic in contrast to
static RAM DISC).
But you must manually set how much RAM it could use because by default
it is 50%.
After that, just copy movie to that device and play from it.

For example my /tmp on TMPFS with 4GiB RAM and 8GiB SWAP (I've made SWAP
that big just for TMPFS to use):

***
# TMPFS
tmpfs   /tmp   tmpfs   defaults,size=4096M,mode=4777   0   0
***

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.getfirefox.net/