[MPlayer-users] Invalid seek to negative position ...

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jun 5 08:08:15 CEST 2012

On 4 Jun 2012, at 16:06, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you troubleshoot this error?
> ~
> lbrtchx
> ~
> $ mplayer /media/sr1/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
> MPlayer SVN-r33713-4.6.1 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
>
> Playing /media/sr1/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB.
> Invalid seek to negative position fffffffffffffff8!

That is not an error, but only a warning really.
The issue it indicates does not usually affect whether a file is playable.
I believe it is most common when trying to play a (almost) empty file, but I don't remember properly the exact cause.
You should try a newer MPlayer version though, yours is from last year.