[MPlayer-users] "too slow" even with a modern system?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jul 15 20:12:29 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:32:08AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> > Note that vsync is not an issue, both because it generally isn't with
> > XVideo, and you can also see it from the CPU usage numbers "128% 4%
> > 2.0%", vsync issues would cause the second to be large.
> > The first number says that decoding the video takes 28% more time than
> > what would be necessary to decode in real-time.
> > You can try adding skipframe=nonref, but I think the results will be bad.
> > I also couldn't figure out how many cores your CPU has. If it has 4, you
> > probably should use more than 4 threads.
> > If it has HyperThreading, it might help to disable it (in the BIOS I
> > think - it might make things slower though, that's completely
> > unpredictable).
>
> I found that I can play 00006.mp4 perfectly if I:
>
> ffmpeg -i 00006.MTS -sameq 00006.mp4
>
> I can 'mplayer 00006.mp4' and audio stays perfectly in sync.  What
> does this mean?

It means that a video can be encoded in a way that makes it harder
or easier to decode.
Unless your FFmpeg was built against libx264, the new file will be
MPEG-4 ASP and not H.264, which is more than that 30% faster that
your computer is too slow.
Or if it actually is H.264 it probably does not use complex stuff like
CABAC or B-frames, plus it likely is a lot lower bandwidth (both because
usually camcorder encoders are bad and thus create high-bandwith video
and also because -sameq does not really work).