[MPlayer-users] How to Inform mplayer about ffmpeg location

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jul 7 21:35:11 CEST 2012

Alexandre Schenberg <ale.schenberg <at> gmail.com> writes:

> When I try to execute ./configure in mplayer, it tells me:
> "No FFmpeg checkout, press enter to download one with git or CTRL+C to abort"
>
> I  don't have git, however I DO HAVE ffmpeg, but it is installed
> locally, so what parameters I need to pass to configure so it seems
> ffmpeg?

First, please understand that nowadays git is a requirement for
MPlayer compilation because the only supported way of compiling
MPlayer is with a FFmpeg checkout. The reason is that like this
FFmeg gets updated whenever you update MPlayer (and run
configure).
(MPlayer did not support older FFmpeg versions for several years.)
You are on your own if you do not want to use git.

That said, you can untar the git snapshot from
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html into your MPlayer directory
(as "ffmpeg") but please remember that you probably have to
update the FFmpeg directory whenever you update MPlayer.

Carl Eugen