[MPlayer-users] mplayer udp sync -- several instances on one machine

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sat Jul 7 05:19:08 CEST 2012

> Master and slave on one machine works great. So I believe it's a port or
> network issue. Maybe some port rerouting is possible.
>
> Does anyone have an idea how I can sync two udp-slave instances on one
> machine?

Might well be that the port is occupied by the first instance of
MPlayer. You could try to assign a second IP to your network card, so
this second IP can recieve broadcasts independently from the first one.

ifconfig eth0   192.168.1.10 up
ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.11 up

I do not know, however, if the second instance will find the second IP
to bind to, the manpage says -udp-ip only sets the transmitting IP, not
the recieving.

A somewhat complicated but quite safe approach would be:

Use "nc" (netcat) to recieve the udp datagrams, use "tee" to multiply
the datagrams to named pipes, on each named pipe, use "nc" to send the
datagrams to a different port on localhost, so all MPlayers have their
own port to listen to on localhost.

Good luck!

Greets,
Kiste