[MPlayer-users] can't play certain matroska files using vdpau

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jan 18 11:34:00 CET 2012

Francesco Berni <kurojishi <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> so i'll have to wait until vdpau support that codec
> >
> > That might be never (and I believe there are several very different reasons).
>
> out of curiosity, why?

Foremost, there is not even an API for hardware-accelerated H264 decoding for
anything else than 8-bit yuv420p, so even if there were hardware that supported
the decoding, it would not be immediately supported by MPlayer.
And since it is not in the Bluray standard, I would be surprised if such
hardware suddenly surfaces on the consumer market.

Carl Eugen