[MPlayer-users] can't play certain matroska files using vdpau

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Jan 17 23:52:54 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:43:10PM +0100, Francesco Berni wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 11:37 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Francesco Berni <kurojishi <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7e548e0f.html
> >
> >> [swscaler @ 0xdf5a40]using unscaled yuv420p10le -> yuv420p special converter
> >
> > There is currently no hardware (afaik, but it is true for Nvidia consumer
> > products at least) that supports 10bit H264, and VDPAU does not support it at
> > all (API).
> >
> > Sorry for not realizing earlier, and the crash is of course a bug (a known one)!
> > (But the fix will not really help you, because it will not fix playback.)
> >
> > Carl Eugen
>
> so i'll have to wait until vdpau support that codec and there is nothing
> to do?

Well, you can still try to fix the "awfully laggy" issue.
For example you can save some CPU time by not making it do
the 10 bit to 8 bit conversion, at least -vo gl can display
10-bit directly (and with NVidia it should even give correct output.
Mesa will probably start working. With ATI... Well, usually they
manage to fix their bugs "somewhen", too).
Then if it is a multi-core CPU make sure you have configured
-lavdopts threads.
Then there's also -lavdopts skiploopfilter=nonref and similar.
Might make sense to combine that one with a larger "threads" value
even on single core CPU (a hackish way to even out CPU usage between
ref and nonref frames).

> i'll watch that videos on my other machine with an ATI card, it's no
> tragedy.

The graphics card shouldn't matter (actually as I hinted at above,
ATI actually is worse for 10 bit, they can't even handle uncompressed).
Of course if that PC also has a more powerful CPU that solve the
problem of laggyness without additional options.