[MPlayer-users] ass + vaapi

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jan 14 17:18:11 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 01:43:21PM +0100, CC wrote:
> I now found the switch -ass. Why is it off by default?

Because it's more compatible without and works well enough
in a lot of cases.

> Anyway, if vo=vaapi, MPlayer complains with it:

vaapi is not part of MPlayer.

> Opening video filter: [ass auto=1]
> Couldn't open video filter 'ass'.
> ASS: cannot add video filter
>
> What could be the problem?

There is no problem so far.
Video filters do not work on compressed streams.
If there is a problem, then it might be that the
vaapi vo does not support ASS subtitles.
However since vaapi is not part of MPlayer, this is
the wrong place to get help with it (unless you
want to work on getting it into MPlayer, then
you're welcome to discuss that on the -dev-eng list).