[MPlayer-users] Capturing from composite using a bktr card on OpenBSD

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jan 9 21:43:40 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 08:32:29PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9 January 2012 20:18, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:58:23PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using mplayer in combination with a bktr card to play my old sega
> >> megadrive. It works, but something is not quite right:
> >>  - odd "scanlines" across picture.
> >>  - colours are really intense and psychedelic.
> >>
> >> I am no expert in video, colour spaces, timings etc, so I can't
> >> provide any decent insight as to why this happens, but I can provide a
> >> couple of screenshots:
> >>
> >> http://imgur.com/a/7YqqP
> >>
> >> The first screenshot is supposed to have a blue background IIRC.
> >
> > How does that blue with the wrong colour compare to the blue that has
> > the correct colour in the capture?
>
> A false green which should be blue is a blocky flickery green.

Sorry, I meant what the "correct" blue value looks like compared to the
blue that gets through correctly.

> > How do you connect the capture card?
>
> I am using a sega megadrive composite cable; this exact one:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Megadrive-II-cable-lead/dp/B00206LKR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326140774&sr=8-1
>
> I plug this into the composite (input 0) of my bktr card, which is a:
> bktr0 at pci3 dev 2 function 0 "Brooktree BT878" rev 0x02: apic 8 int 18
> bktr0: Card has no configuration EEPROM. Cannot determine card make.
> bktr0: IMS TV Turbo, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner.
>
> Here it has guessed(?) that the card is NTSC, I think this is the
> problem. The bktr(4) manual page has a kernel option "option
> BKTR_OVERRIDE_CARD=nnn" which I can force to PAL perhaps?

No idea about that, and I would have thought that getting that wrong
would have more "serious" effects.
Either way make sure to try -tv norm=PAL or similar stuff.
And maybe adding -v will make MPlayer print some more useful
information.