[MPlayer-users] Capturing from composite using a bktr card on OpenBSD

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jan 9 21:18:32 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:58:23PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using mplayer in combination with a bktr card to play my old sega
> megadrive. It works, but something is not quite right:
>  - odd "scanlines" across picture.
>  - colours are really intense and psychedelic.
>
> I am no expert in video, colour spaces, timings etc, so I can't
> provide any decent insight as to why this happens, but I can provide a
> couple of screenshots:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/7YqqP
>
> The first screenshot is supposed to have a blue background IIRC.

How does that blue with the wrong colour compare to the blue that has
the correct colour in the capture?
How do you connect the capture card?
Green is what you get the u and v components are both 0.
A possible reason (since I guess the parts that are incorrectly
green are the ones with an especially intense red or blue) would
be some kind of overflow in either u or v.
However I have a hard time imagining that this would could happen
in the digital stage, so I'd guess either some issue with the
connection or maybe a wrong norm selected that expects different
signal levels or some such.