[MPlayer-users] No fun with sandy bridge on linux

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Thu Feb 23 21:36:11 CET 2012

Hi!

Intels sandy bridge processors contain a graphics core which is supposed
to be able to play HD movies. However, due to a known but seemingly
hard-to-fix driver bug, playback tears heavily.

The bug has recently been partly fixed. It is said that tearing should
not occur anymore when a non-compositing window manager is used and
video is played through VA-API or openGL.

I'd like to try that. Thing is, I have never seen a fluent video via GL.

mplayer -vo gl video.avi

does not tear... but it does not draw more than one frame per second.
glxgears says it was locked to the screen refresh, and renders frames
exactly at the screen refresh frequency. Can someone give me a hint on
how to use GL?

The other method using VA-API seems to be quite impossible. MPlayer
support for VA-API, which never really started, seem to have come to an
end. Or am I wrong, and there is some way how MPlayer can use VA-API?

Thanks for any help!

Greets,
Kiste