[MPlayer-users] Unable to Compile Mplayer Revision 34652

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Feb 14 10:54:43 CET 2012

Joseph D. Wagner <joe <at> josephdwagner.info> writes:

> BTW, should the ffmpeg inside the mplayer tree already have
> configure &  make run on it, before attempting to build the
> full mplayer?

You should completely ignore the tree, (MPlayer's) configure
takes care of everything.
(If it fails, please report the bug.)

> configure \
>      --prefix=/usr \
>      --bindir=/usr/bin \
>      --datadir=/usr/share/mplayer \
>      --mandir=/usr/share/man \
>      --confdir=/etc/mplayer \
>      --libdir=/usr/lib64 \

>      --codecsdir=/usr/lib64/codecs \

Does this really work (I don't know)?

>      --extra-cflags="-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4  -m64
> -mtune=generic" \

There are two possibilities:
Either this is useful, then this should be added to our default
flags, so please send benchmarks etc. in this case, or it has
no benefits, then please remove it.

>      --language=all \
>      --enable-joystick \

>      --enable-lirc \

I suspect this option does not do what you suspect,
please remove it.
(Or report a bug if lirc auto-detection fails.)

>      --enable-menu \
>      --enable-radio \
>      --enable-radio-capture \

>      --enable-runtime-cpudetection \

Are you a user who compiles for his own use?
If yes, this is a bad option.
(It should only be used if you plan to distribute
the binary you compile.)

>      --enable-unrarexec \

I had never heard of this option, but I believe it is
the default, so it should be unneeded.

>      --disable-dvdread-internal \
>      --disable-libdvdcss-internal \

What are they good for?
(Pure curiosity.)

>      --disable-nemesi \
>      --disable-smb \

>      --disable-ffmpeg_a \

This is said to work for some (I don't know), as far
as I am concerned, it is not supported on the user
mailing list.
Since it is the reason compilation fails for you,
please remove it.

Please try to avoid top-posting here, Carl Eugen