[MPlayer-users] Building MPlayer on Windows

Marlon Smith marlon.smith10 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 00:17:56 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 21:46 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:37:50PM -0800, Marlon Smith wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'd like to compile the latest nightly MPlayer build in Windows.  I did
> > it in Linux, and it worked great and took about 5 minutes.  In windows,
> > I've already spent about an hour digging through guides and trying
> > things out with no luck.  The only guides I can find are outdated with
> > broken links and steps that don't seem to work any more.
> >
> > Does anyone have a good guide for compiling MPlayer on Windows, or even
> > cross-compiling for Windows from Linux?  Surely it can't be that
> > difficult?
>
> DOCS/tech/mingw-crosscompile.txt was an attempt at such a guide,
> but it is badly outdated.
> Possibly you can get some useful info out of it.
> But the problem is getting all the features you'd normally want
> to work.
> Simply getting it to compile shouldn't be hard, but it will support
> probably half or less of what you'd expect/be used to.
> The main problem is that there is no package management to
> install any dependencies - or in the case of cross-compiling
> almost no prebuilt library packages exist for the cross-compilation
> environment.

Thanks for the reply Reimar.  I looked at that guide, but the file
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/mpl_mingw32.tar.bz2 is no longer
available.

The section about Wine makes it sound like compiling for Wine will just
automatically use all the packages I have installed on Linux.  That
sounds too good to be true.  There isn't a chance this will build a
Windows compatible binary that I could just copy to a Windows machine is
there?

Marlon