[MPlayer-users] converting a .mov file with mencoder

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Feb 8 16:07:32 CET 2012

Le decadi 20 pluviôse, an CCXX, Pierre Frenkiel a écrit :
>   hi Nicolas,
>   the Debian Squeeze package was actually rather old. After installing

Not only are they old, but they are also often compiled in a way not optimal
for users.

>   the current version from the tar archive, it's better, i.e. mencoder works..
>   but I still have  serious problem with the output format:
>     the source file is 16/9, and the output file is distorted, with
>     a ration of 6/5
>     trying -aspec 16:9, or -mpegopts vaspect=16/9
>     changed nothing

You should paste your complete command line and console output.

>    as I said, ffmpeg doesn't recognize my .mov file:
>
>      Invalid data found when processing input

I am sorry I missed that. Could you make the file available? At least the
first few kilobytes, enough for mplayer to succeed and show a few frames and
ffmpeg to fail?

If mplayer can read something that ffmpeg can't, that is definitely worth
investigating.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George