[MPlayer-users] -softvol causes mutes to become "delayed"

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Dec 27 06:22:27 CET 2012

On 27 Dec 2012, at 01:44, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a note, for me with windows mplayer, if I use EDL's and specify
> mutes, and also specify "-softvol"
> then the EDL mutes occur (and end) about 1s later than "their
> timestamp" (same with hitting the 'm' button for muting--it causes a
> delayed mute about 1s after).

That is hard to avoid, the audio output buffers a lot of sound a data and there's not really any way to change the data by software after it has reached the sound subsystem/driver.
Though with -ao dsound I'd expect there never should be any reason to use softvol, since directsound should do the mixing in a better way in software/the driver if I remember correctly.
The feature is mostly for more lowlevel APIs.