[MPlayer-users] Bash vs. sh

Robin Kluth commi1993 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 23:02:22 CET 2012

Erik, you're right:

ls -l on /bin/sh goes to dash:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Dec 25  2011 /bin/sh -> dash

I've did some tests with -v (-x is a resolution option?):

Test 1 and 2 with da(sh):
http://pastebin.com/Uj8EbxRa
http://pastebin.com/3KdLUQzD

Test 1 and 2 with bash:
http://pastebin.com/qerb0tya
http://pastebin.com/iJqVeQPY

The thing is, I can reproduce this with sh now, too but not always. It
happens more rare now :(

This issue seems to be stream related, I cannot check that (the stream is
at: http://mp3.89.0rtl.de ).

Maybe some one find a hint?

2012/12/19 Erik Auerswald <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de>

> Hi,
>

> On 12/19/2012 02:09 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Robin Kluth<commi1993 at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>>  [...]
>>>
>>> Okay, so I made some tests:
>>>
>>> If I change the script as follows:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>>
>>> and execute it via:
>>>
>>> :# sh test.sh
>>>
>>> all is working great!, Tried this several times, and all files seem ok!
>>>

>>> Went back to bash:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> :# bash test.sh
>>>
>>> And again randomly wrong output files!
>>>  [...]
>>>

>> I thought on linux, sh and bash were the same thing?
>>

> Some distributions changed to dash as /bin/sh to improve boot speed. Use
> "ls -l /bin/sh" to check your system.
>

>  Run both variants
>> with -x and get a full log of what happens. If you still don't see any
>> difference, try strace'ing the shell script.
>>

> HTH,
> Erik

Gruß,
R. Kluth