[MPlayer-users] Bash vs. sh

Robin Kluth commi1993 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:28:56 CET 2012

Hi at all Mplayer users ;)

I have a very strange issue while using mplayer (and streamripper):

I've created a little script (test.sh) to record a normal shoutcast stream,
it looks like:

#!/bin/bash
mplayer -dumpstream http://myserver -dumpfile testfile.mp3

I've used streamripper for this previously, but it generates random bad
output files (wrong bitrate, kHZ and Codec type (Layer I (or II) instead
III).

I've tried this with mplayer too, but: same behaviour...?!

Okay, so I made some tests:

If I change the script as follows:

#!/bin/sh

and execute it via:

:# sh test.sh

all is working great!, Tried this several times, and all files seem ok!

Went back to bash:

#!/bin/bash
:# bash test.sh

And again randomly wrong output files!

So, whats the problem? I use bash, to get access to $RANDOM (used in the
complete script). Why is streamripper/mplayer generating bad output files
using bash?

Can someone explain this?

Thank you!

Diagnostic-data:

Linux 3.0.46-vs2.3.2.5.2-nc #1 SMP Wed Oct 24 12:28:39 UTC 2012 x86_64
GNU/Linux

MPlayer 1.0rc3-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
Streamripper 1.64.6

Sincerely,

--
Gruß,