[MPlayer-users] Regression in version 34853 of mplayer, audio times out

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Apr 13 19:52:00 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:06:37AM -0700, stan wrote:
> I'm using version 34853, and it is generating the message
> Audio device got stuck!
> when playing audio from the command line.  It happens intermittently,
> anywhere from a few seconds up to a minute.  It never used to do that. I
> am running Fedora F17, and the version of mplayer (SVN-r34652) they have
> packaged does not have this issue.

That just doesn't detect the issue.
It is printed only when the audio device consumes data far slower than
MPlayer expects.
It's possible it doesn't quite work reliably with high precision timers,
however there's a good chance the latency/playback position reporting
by your hardware/driver is imprecise.

>         if (sleep_time < 10)
>             sleep_time = 10;                  // limit to 100 wakeups per second

But you could try replacing these two lines with
sleep_time += 10;