[MPlayer-users] DVD Vob files

Friðrik Ásmundsson fridrik01 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 11:42:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

This question is related to the DvD standard and how the physical VOB
files map to the Titles inside the DvD.

For example I have the DvD "Hot Shots" and when I mount it I see VOB
files for Titles 1 through 6. However Mplayer tells me the DvD has 13
titles!  I have seen this also in very many other DvDs (more Titles
than VOB files).

I always thought according to the DvD standard, that for each title in
the DvD, a VOB file must exists for it, example: VTS_<TITLE>_XX.VOB.

This means there must be some VOB files that have multiple Titles inside.

So the question is:

Is there any way for me to ask Mplayer in what VOB files a given Title is in?

-- The following command extracts the Title information from the dvd --

user at host:/media$ mplayer -dvd-device /media/HOTSHOTS/ dvd://1 -identify
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.5.2 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing dvd://1.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/sr0 mounted on
/media/HOTSHOTS for CSS authentication
ID_DVD_TITLES=13
ID_DVD_TITLE_1_CHAPTERS=25
ID_DVD_TITLE_1_ANGLES=1