[MPlayer-users] Hich cpu uceage

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:53:44 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Peter Christy <christy at attglobal.net> wrote:
> Problem: Excessive CPU useage whilst playing Hi-Def videos.
>
> Computer: Intel E6750 core duo, P35 chipset.
> Gfx     : NVidia GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
> Driver  : NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-275.28
>
> <snip>
>
> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
>
> <snip>
>
> The line VO: [vdpau] implies that vdpau is recognised, but why all the errors,
> and why is the cpu useage so high?
>
> The same file plays on my netbook (Acer Aspire One 721, AMD Neo K145, Ati Gfx)
> using an old version of mplayer from splitted-desktops without problems! But
> on that system, mplayer reports:

> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> [VD_FFMPEG] VA API accelerated video codec
> Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
>
> Note the extra line referring to an accelerated codec that is missing from the
> problem implementation!
>
> This seems to indicate that the internal ffmpeg has been compiled without vdpau
> / vaapi.
>
> What am I doing wrong? What have I missed?

Vaapi is not the way to go with nvidia, you want to use vdpau, not
vaapi via vdpau. With ATI/AMD, you have to use vaapi..

Mplayer is choosing vdpau as the output path for you (instead of
xv,x11 etc), but the codec being used is (unaccelerated) ffmpeg.  The
reason for this is that you have to explicitly choose the codecs you
want accelerated by vdpau. You can do this either on the command line,
or in your stock mplayer config:

  [default]
  vo=vdpau,xv
  vc=ffh264vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,

On the command line:

  mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,

The trailing ',' means 'try other codecs if none of these are
appropriate'. The precise -vc option depends upon what vdpau features
your card supports, eg I don't have 'ffodivxvdpau' (to accelerate
divx) as my card doesn't support it.

Cheers

Tom