[MPlayer-users] Help with ProRes/Decklink (was: Help with 32bit mplayer)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Sep 19 22:32:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:35:58PM -0600, Deron Kazmaier wrote:
> On 9/19/11 12:18 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:00:48AM -0600, Deron Kazmaier wrote:
> >>Failed to initialize audio driver 'decklink'
> >>Could not open/initialize audio device ->  no sound.
> >>Audio: no sound
> >That means the ao refuses to accept the input. That is extremely
> >unlikely to be an issue anywhere but in the ao code.
> >Maybe the audio being 24 bit causes issues?
>
> That could be it. I'll dig around and see. Can mplayer resample?

More like format conversion.
Something like -af format=s16le.
However, the ao can just request whatever format it actually wants
instead of bailing out and MPlayer will do whatever necessary (yes,
that is simpler than for video where this feature does not exist).

> >>V:   0.6   0/  0 113% 46%  0.0% 0 0
> >While those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt,
> >it means that decoding alone already is slower than realtime
> >and the decklink vo code on it own also uses half of the CPU
> >time available for real-time.
>
> So that is what those numbers (roughly) indicate!
>
> Ok, so I can at least show a proof of concept to my friend, is it
> possible to decode to a raw file and then play that back? I don't
> want to reencode to another format for quality issues, but I
> expected two new chunks of code to be unoptimized speed wise.

Well, mencoder with -ovc raw. But I don't think it will give really
useful results. Also since often enough it will be just as slow, just
that time because of the disk being too slow instead of the CPU.