[MPlayer-users] Movie Surround Downmixing

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon Sep 12 03:18:46 CEST 2011

I've noticed that an increasing number of videos have their sound
recording levels such that speech often gets drowned out by surrounding
sound/noise.  And if volume is increased to levels where it's easy to
hear what actors are saying, the volume of everything else will seem
disproportionately loud.  With some research, I've found that the common
wisdom is to increase the volume of the center channel of your surround
system.  Not such an easy feat with 2 speaker sound system/headphones.

After studying Mplayer documentation and source code, I've come with the
following options:.

-channels 6 -af pan=2:0.4:0:0:0.4:0.2:0:0:0.2:0.5:0.5:0.1:0.1

(Note, the mplayer default for downmixing puts the volume level of
center channel at .3, here I've boosted that to .5)

In theory, increasing the volume of center channel without decreasing
everything else runs the risk of total volume being too high and sound
clipping as a result.  In practice, every soundtrack I've tested has
more than enough headroom for this extra boost and overall, sounds much
better in stereo.  I believe this is what most set top dvd/bd players do
when playing Surround to stereo.

Question: Any more experienced mplayer users/devs have different insight?

Suggestion: If this problem is something that affects people (besides
myself), it might be good to have an option to boost center channel when
downmixing.  Manually tweaking the pan filter isn't really something I
would expect people to do who just want to watch a movie.