[MPlayer-users] Audio Too Loud/Quiet

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 22:12:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Monday, 5 September 2011, 20:55, Antonio Recio wrote:
> ... sometimes is difficult to hear the dialogs and others times the
> music is too loud.

That description sounds a little like you might have the wrong channels configuration - playing back the audio as 6-channel (5.1) on stereo (2.0) speakers often results in the music being very loud (as it is often mostly on the front-right and front-left channels which get routed to the R/L stereo outputs on most sound cards) and the dialogue being too quiet (it is often mostly on the front-centre channel which will be missing if you only have 2 speakers attached).

Try specifying '-channels 2' on the mplayer command line; this should cause mplayer to mix the 5.1 audio down to stereo.

Hope this helps,
Stephen

--

I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere!