[MPlayer-users] mplayer prevents (wakes up?) DPMS timeouts; how to prevent?

Ted Pavlic ted at tedpavlic.com
Sun Sep 4 20:20:30 CEST 2011

I've noticed that my DPMS timeouts are never triggered while
electricsheep runs despite "xset q" showing that DPMS is enabled.
Drilling down further, I see that running mplayer actually causes the
problem (moreover, ffplay causes the same problem).

If I'm playing a video with mplayer (or ffplay), how can I tell
mplayer to *not* disable DPMS so that my screen will be blanked/etc.
on schedule?

At the moment, the only way I can get electricsheep to blank the
screen is if I launch a process in parallel that does timed launches
of "xset dpms force off" commands while electricsheep is running.

Thanks --
Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <ted at tedpavlic.com>