[MPlayer-users] two questions about playing from the console

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sat Oct 29 06:03:35 CEST 2011

Am 28.10.2011 19:39, schrieb Nathan Thern:

> Question 1:
> When I try to install mplayer using aptitude, it wants to include tons
> of X11 libraries&  stuff. The disk space isn't an issue, it's just
> that I don't want this computer slowed down by adding cruft it doesn't
> need.

What is not needed will not be used. The sheer presence of libs & stuff
should not affect the overall performande at all.

> Can I force an install of mplayer without the X11 libraries&
> will it still work?

Sure, but here's not the place to ask for a console-only package for
certain distributions. If you want to install the package, you will need
to take it as it is, with all the dependencies.

> What libs do I need to make sure I _do_ install?

After downloading the source, try running ./configure . It will most
certainly fail. Install the missing lib or program, and try again until
./configure runs through and automatically enables all the features you
need.

> Or is there a console-only binary out there somewhere I can use?

Maybe.

> Question 2:
> I'm finding it very difficult to determine how I will actually play to
> the framebuffer. I have no /dev/fb* device.

Then you need to load the framebuffer kernel module for your specific
graphics card. I've seen framebuffers run on ATI, nvidia, matrox, intel
and VIA graphics chips. If you've got one of them chances are that it's
possible. In most cases, simply installing a kernel that's not too old
will enable the framebuffer device.

Greets,
Kiste