[MPlayer-users] dvd pts timestamp resets are different without audio?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:49:16 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:42 AM, Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it> wrote:
> Roger Pack ha scritto:
>>
>> Hello all.
>> Behold, I reveal a mystery.
>> With some DVD's, if I play it "with audio", the PTS timestamp resets at
>> 3498.03
>> however, if I play it back with "-nosound" it says the reset occurs at
>> 3499.40
>
> no, can't be. I don't know why, but timestamps are unaffected by the single
> streams you play.

I agree, the MPEG timestamps you'd think would be consistent, though I
did notice some mention under "-autosync" [1]
"An uneven video framerate in a movie which plays fine with -nosound
can often be helped by setting this to an integer value greater than
1."

I don't quite understand how sound can affect video timing, though maybe it can.
I'm wondering if it's some "DVD format fluke" or something.  The DVD
format seems like an odd duck.
-roger-

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/1/mplayer